The Church Of St. Nicholas is in the walled part of Nicosia. The building was built in the II century, initially, there was a Byzantine Church.
Initially, the Church. Nicholas was built in the Byzantine period, and then during the reign of Lusignan, to the Church, were added some Gothic elements. After further changes by the Venetians in the 16th century it was transferred to the Greek Orthodox Church. During the Ottoman period, when it closed Christian churches, the Church of St. Nicholas turned to the indoor market, “the thought”.
The Mansion Of Dervish Pasha:
The owner of two stone mansions built in the 19th century was dervish Pasha, who published the first Turkish newspaper in Cyprus, “Zaman”. The mansion is located in the district of Nicosia is the Arap Ahmet in the walled part of the city. The mansion has two entrances. At the main entrance depicts Muslim calendar for 1219 year (1807).
The first floor of the mansion of dervish Pasha built of stone, and the other from Adobe. In the ornament of the ceiling of the main room attached to the building later, you can see a calendar for 1869. The building is designed in the shape of the letter “G” and has a spacious courtyard.
City the walls of Nicosia:
In 1567, before the conquest of Cyprus by the Ottomans to protect Nicosia, the Venetians started the construction of new walls in place of the old Lusignan walls that surrounded the city. The project of walls was done by the prominent Venetian engineer Giulio Savorgnano. However, the Ottomans defeated the Venetians before the walls were completed…
Walls with a total length of 4.8 km include eleven bastions, each of which represents a fortress, and three gates. The walls consisted of earthen ramparts with a stone facing. The gate bore the following titles: “Port del Proveditore” – “Cirenaica gate” in the North, “Porta Giuliana” – “Famagusta Gate” in the East, and “Porta Domenica” – “Paphos gate” in the West.
The Arab Ahmet Mosque:
The Arab Ahmet mosque is the famous mosque built by the Turks in Nicosia. The mosque is a superb example of old Turkish architecture and it is located in the area of the Arab Ahmet, the only place that preserved the spirit of ancient Nicosia. The mosque, like many others, was built on the site of an old Catholic Church. The Arab Ahmet mosque was built in the late XVII century in memory of Arab Ahmet Pasha, a former Governor of Rhodes.
The hotel is an Ottoman merchant’s yard. The building was completed in the late seventeenth century. The form and proportions of an ornamented Gothic arch at the entrance can not be combined with other arches of the building, which is not typical for Ottoman architecture. Therefore, it is thought that the arch could be taken from another building, probably a monastery, which was situated on this place.
Hotel players an amazing building in itself, unusual medieval Gothic arch, also will be interesting to see and the room in which you can get from the patio.
The building of the great baths were built on the remains of the Catholic Church. This is a Prime example of the possibility of restructuring old buildings for new purposes. Bath still works, she is surrounded by Gothic arches and thick stone walls of the old Church. The Church now is located three meters below the level of the modern city – so much has changed the landscape of Nicosia.
The great Inn:
From a historical and architectural perspective, Buyuk Han is one of the most prominent Turkish monuments in Nicosia. It is known that it was built by the Governor-General, by muzzafer Pasha, the first Ottoman Governor of Cyprus in 1572 The two-storey building of rectangular shape, inside there is a large yard in which is a covered pavilion with arch.
The big Inn was built of stone brought from different places and used previously for the construction of various buildings. For example, the marble columns of the mosque, standing in the courtyard were probably removed from another building. This small mosque with a dome and a conical hexagonal stone chimneys perfectly accentuates the Turkish style of architecture of the building. In the rooms on the ground floor was occupied by shops, storerooms and service rooms…
The mosque of Haydar Pasha (the Church of St. Katarina) :
After the Cathedral. Sophia is the most famous Lusignan building in Nicosia. The Church Of St. Catherine is a vivid example of the “flamboyant” style in the architecture of Cyprus XIV century. Historian sir Harry Luke describes it as the most exquisite Gothic structure in Cyprus. After coming to Cyprus, the Ottomans converted the Church of St. Katharina in the mosque. From the original medieval interior of the Church up to the present time have survived only tombstones on the floor, as well as the decor of the altar and the cross partition.
High narrow Windows in the Gothic style framed by tapering pilasters to the top. The top of the Windows were decorated with geometric patterns. The Church has three entrances, the South entrance attracts the attention with its elegant masonry and the Lusignan coats of arms, carved along the perimeter.
Kyrenia gate is the Northern entrance to the old city of Nicosia walled. From all three gates leading into the city, the gates were the main Cyrenaica. Their other name is “the Gates of Del Proveditore”, in honor of Proveditore architect Francesco Barbaro. The gate is well preserved to the present day and remains one of the most interesting historical monuments of Northern Nicosia.
In 1821 the Turks Kyrenia gate was restored and installed the add-on with the dome. On top of the stove carved verses from the Koran. In 1820 on the North side of the gate appeared the print of Mahmut II. Cannon in front of the gate, were brought by the British to protect against Napoleon, and later they passed into the hands of the Ottomans.
The Museum of the ancient stones:
The Museum of ancient stones is located to the East of the Selimiye mosque, in a building of the XV century, constructed in Venetian style. There are numerous exhibits made of stone (coats of arms, marble products, tombstone and column), starting from the middle ages to the present day. Opposite the entrance you can see the patterned box of amazing beauty, it was transported here from the Lusignan Palace square Caravan, destroyed during the British period.
The Museum of ancient stones is located near the Selimiye mosque (St. Sofia), it is assumed that the Venetian house or a restored medieval building.
The Museum Of Mevlevi Tekke:
Building located South of the Kyrenia gate, was built in the late XVI century Pasha, the Arab Ahmet after the conquest of the island by the Ottomans. The commander of the invading army, Lala Mustafa Pasha, the Arab Ahmet Pasha, as well as the first clerics and Muftis of the island belonged to the Mevlevi order (order of dervishes founded by Mevlana Rumi by Jelaluddin, also known as “the order of dancing dervishes”.
The Mevlevi Tekke in Lefkosa was an important cultural centre in the Ottoman part of Cyprus. It is located outside the city walls, South of the Kyrenia gate.
Selimiye mosque (Cathedral of St. Sofia):
In the building of the Selimiye mosque was the Cathedral. Sofia. The Cathedral is the largest and most beautiful Gothic Church in Cyprus. Today in the building of the ancient Church is the chief mosque in Northern Cyprus. The architectural style of the Cathedral resembles the famous mediaeval cathedrals of France.
It is believed that the Cathedral was built on the site of the Byzantine Church of Agia Sophia (Holy wisdom). The construction of the Cathedral began, the Catholic Archbishop Eustorge de Montaigu in 1208, In 1326, the Cathedral was consecrated, and here began the religious services. It was the main Church of Cyprus, which hosted the coronation of the kings of the Lusignan dynasty.
Venetian column & Ataturk square:
Granite column in the Ataturk square was erected by the Venetians in 1550, before her stood the lion of St. Mark. The Ottomans demolished the convoy, but the British in 1915, he set it back in place. It is believed that a column of gray granite was transported here from a temple in Salamis (Famagusta area).
At the foot of the column shows the coats of arms of six Italian families. Later on top of it installed a copper ball. The building on the West side of the square atatürk were built during the British colonial rule in the early 20th century, they now seat of government.